Thursday 6 August 2009

Ice, a whole lot of ice...

I should have listened to the guide... He told us specifically not to taste the glacier! Ice, cold, tongue, wet... Stubborn as I am I stuck my tongue in the glacier anyway and now I'm glued to it, freezing my ass off while hanging by my tongue... And I didn't have to fly so close to the glacier, couldn't I just have seen it from a distance? Now this living mountain of moaning frozen water pushes me down as well, taking me with it at the pace of millenniums, while slowly descending towards the margin where it will lean on some day. I look at the white and blue sky, so I don't feel the vertigo of the long distance that separates me from the water below my feet, which awaits for me patiently. Every now and then I feel the vibration that anticipates the deafening noise the breaking ice makes when falling heavily in the water. But I'm not afraid, instead I wait patiently for my turn, hanging by my tongue, closing my eyes so I can feel part of this mass that both freezes and fascinates me. And, suddenly... I feel the vibration close to me, ear the noise, and there I go, falling down helplessly, in slow motion, till I dive in the cold water. I was lucky, it could have taken longer... Now I just have to let the water sail me lazily down the lake and wait for the sun to melt the ice so I can have my tongue back. And in the end all this for nothing. After all the glacier tastes, who could imagine!?, like ice...









Perito Moreno glacier - El Calafate, Argentina, May 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment